Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Ken, I miss you......

Today has been a day of mixed emotions for me. It's Ken's birthday, the first one we will celebrate without him. I could see the pain, and love, in the birthday wishes his children posted on Facebook today. It feels like only yesterday that Ken passed away, then I realize it's been over a month. There was sunshine here in Vancouver though, which I'm sure Ken sent down to us. It was a nice break from the rain, and it encouraged me to get out to track practice that I've been skipping due to my tendonitis.

Sunday I did a 10-mile run without my iPod. This was a first for me, I have only done short runs or track workouts without having music accompany me through the miles. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it, but also how much I was able to increase my pace. I set out with the 10:30-pace leaders who were taking it easy on this run, I was excited when I kept up with them all the way through mile 5. Sadly that's when my nagging foot tendonitis decided to flair and set me back to a walk. I completed the distance though in 2 hours and 7 minutes. That last time I did a half-marathon it took me over 2.5 hours, so I'm excited to see how well I can do at the inaugural Vancouver 1/2 Marathon in a few weeks.

Having completed a 10-mile run on Sunday, I was excited to get back to the track and work on my speed. I was very diligent about rolling my legs and feet 2-3 times a day to make sure my long run hadn't set me back for track this week. I had physical therapy this morning, and my therapist was all for me trying track tonight after doing so well on my long run. I made it to the track, started off with our two lap warm-up feeling good, and letting my foot get used to the gentle laps. Sadly when we started the high knees, and other dynamic warm-ups the bouncing set my pain tolerance to the limit. I backed off, and did some stretching waiting for our workout to begin. Unfortunately my foot decided the bouncing was too much, and I couldn't walk the pain off. So I wasn't able to complete tonight's workout, but I also know that next week to skip the bouncing, so I can focus on the turn-over aspect of the workout.

I think part of being on the track tonight was a little emotional for me also. I kept thinking about Ken, and how he would have loved to be running on such an amazing spring day. I tried to run for him, trying to push through the pain, but I think the emotional pain was also just bubbling under the surface and it kept me from pushing too hard. Instead, Ken will run the Vancouver 1/2 Marathon with me in mid-June. I'm sure he would have happily signed up for the race if cancer hadn't robbed him of his ability to run; so Ken my birthday present to you (and your family) will be to put your name on my shirt as I run. I send my birthday wishes to you up in heaven, and look forward to sharing another run with you this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment