Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cancer, and my family

In 1998, my Aunt Jane was diagnosed with lung cancer. As a non-smoker and in good health this took my family by surprise. Jane has bravely faced her fight, having endured repeated rounds of chemotherapy and doses of radiation, and survived having half of her lung removed. Eventually she was given a clean bill of health, but after two more reoccurrences, she is yet again battling a cancer that has spread and now ravages her body.

In 2006, Aunt Jane's husband, my Uncle Cal, was diagnosed with mesotheleoma. Uncle Cal showed his strength battling his cancer for two years past the six months he was originally given. I was blessed to have shared a significant part of my life with him, and to spend a fair amount of time with him before he passed away. I was lucky enough to visit with him during one of his last hospitalizations, where we were able to talk together and say our goodbyes. Even then, he expressed his love for me, his wishes for my future, and let me know he would always look over me. My Uncle Cal passed away in the summer of 2009.

Shortly after my Uncle Cal passed away, in 2009, my dear friend Ken was also diagnosed with lung cancer. Having known Ken for over 30 years, I have always been amazed at what a caring, giving, and loving person he is. Even during his battle with a horrid cancer, his faith has remained strong and resolute. He passed away on April 7, 2011. But even during his final days, he has continued to exhibit his true nature, as a kind and thoughtful person. Ken was also a non-smoker, he previously enjoyed spending time in his garden, going for runs, bike rides and hikes, and just marveling in the miracles around him.

Each of these people have been special to me and to my family. They have each helped shape me into the women that I am. They all showed bravery in the face of the diagnosis; through their battle with chemotherapy they exhibited determination to battle for as long as they could.  Their time on earth has been cut short. Ken's three granddaughters will not know him, aside from the memories that we share with them. Jane and Cal's granddaughters will not have their grandparents at their graduations or their weddings.
Why am I telling you all of this? I am sharing these stories with you for one reason only: I want to stop cancer. I want to make a difference in the honor of each of these amazing people, and I am going to do that through the American Cancer Society's DetermiNation program. As part of the DetermiNation team, I will run the Portland Marathon, drawing on the strength and determination that Ken, Jane and Cal all showed. My final race of this season will be one step towards a lifesaving event. Yes, training will be tough, but for me the finish line is just the beginning. My completing this race in their honor will help save lives from every cancer in every community.

It's up to us to change the course of cancer - and I believe in the work the American Cancer Society is doing to save lives. Every day, they're helping people stay well and get well, they're funding and conducting research to find cures, and they're rallying communities to join them in fighting back. More than 11 million Americans who have a history of cancer will celebrate another birthday this year. Please support me with a donation so that together, with the American Cancer Society, we can help save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment